Saturday, May 8, 2010

Richard K. Bridge Journal 2: 25-29 September 1905

I continue on the side-by-side comparison of Richard K. Bridge's and Frederick Kohlhepp's missionary journals regarding the journey they made to Liverpool and Zurich together.

UPDATE: Scans are now uploaded for your viewing pleasure. Feel free to help me transcribe difficult words I could not make out.





































25 September 1905 (Monday)
Richard K. Bridge's JournalFrederick J. Kohlhepp's Journal
I got up after breakfast[,] so I went with out. I went on deck and saw the smoke of a boat about 20 miles away[.] next I went to the library[.] I stayed there till dinner time[.] then after dinner I slept a little[.] [p.6] studied some German[.] at 530 PM we had tea[.] nothing to note, the sea is calm[.] went to bed about ten thirty PM.
[Ship coordinates are] Longitude [-]38.42 Lattitude 48.21[.] The weather has been pleasant all day with [a] breeze from [the] N.E. We sighted some porpoise [or dolphins] this afternoon not far from the ship. My appetite is good aboard ship and I am feeling well, but I feel anxious to arive at my field of labor. Sighted steamer bound for Liverpool, about noon, was loaded heavy, and sailing slow. We past it in a few hours. I have a birth [berth] to myself about amidship. Spent the day reading some + walking the deck. It is very monotinous on a ship. Our company are all feeling well now. Three more missionaries bound for Switzerland + Germany came aboard at Boston.[:] Bro’s. [Herbert] Flamm, [Harry] Shepherd, + [Richard] Bridg[e]. [It’s] 9 P.M. [and I’m] going to bed. [p. 5]
26 September 1905 (Tuesday)
[The next two entries are largely covered by a meal menu for 24 September 1905, making large parts of the text elligible].

I got up this morning [. . . had breakfast]. went to the library [. . .] I've gone through the [. . .] as usual. I'm getting [. . .] the sea especially[.] morning see the sun rise. [. . .] see it go down[.] nothing [. . .] an old gentleman died [. . .] I can[']t learn his [. . .] if they are going to [. . .] sea. It is just two [. . .] morning service[.] I left [. . .] about half past [min? . . .] bed.


Cloudy + somewhat cold, Have not been on deck much today. Spent the day mostly in the Laibrary + in my birth [berth] and chatting with the brethren. [A] Man died on board last night. unknown.

Names of our party. Where bound.


Bro. Flamm + Wife Germany


“ Baker + “ England


“ Webster “


“ Pike “


“ Kohlhepp Germany


“ Fife Scotland


“ Chris. Mortensen Denmark


“ Frank Mortensen “


“ Jorgensen “


“ Brown England


“ Midgely “


“ [Harry] Shepherd Germany


“ [Richard] Bridge “


“ Reeves England [p.6]


“ Hardy England


“ Anderson England


“ Hoagland Sweeden


“ Hatch England


“ Rich England


Sister Boyer “

27 September 1905 (Wednesday)
I woke at 6-15 [. . .] [no??]time as usual[.] [. . .] the dead man last night at midnight[.] I've been sea sick all day[.] I went to bed early[.]
The man who died aboard [on Monday night] was consigned to the waves last night at midnight. Gulls were sighted near ship [in] the morning, A bird called mother Carey’s chicken fell on the deck last night. [The] Sea [is] quite rough this morning. [Ship coordinates are] Lat. 50-13 Lon. [-]19-27[.]
68 Hoechgasse [Höschgasse]
Zürich
Switzerland
Co/ S. F. Ballif [Serge F. Ballif]
Bought stamps, and mailed two letters on board. [p. 7]
28 September 1905 (Thursday)
I got up late[.] I didn't feel very good till we sighted land[.] it looked like a small black rock sticking out of the water[.] this was about eleven o[']clock. We passed several boats[.] some going to America, we passed Fastnet light house about three o[']clock[.] [p. 7] nothing of importance till we passed Daunts Rock at five thirty[.] this is considered the eastern Atlantic sea board[.] About six o[']clock we met the ferry boat Island[.] they took the people to Queenstown[.] I went to bed about ten thirty[.]
Rough sea in the morning and windy. Came in sight of the coast of Ireland about noon. We had a good view of the shore [and] passed some sailing vessels, Also passed [the] Steam Ship Majestic bound from Liverpool to New York, [at] about 3 P.M. Arived at Queenstown [at] 6 P.M. [A] Small Steamer came alongside + took on passengers + baggage. Also the mail, bound for Queenstown. I have been a little sea sick today. Passed [the] Fastnet light house [at] 3 P.M. [and] Daunts Rock at 6 P.M.
29 September 1905 (Friday)
This morning I got up about seven o[']clock[.] we had breakfast at eight o[']clock[.] at eleven we got off the beat[.] went to the custom house about twelve noon[.] took the car for Norton St[.] We arrived at the Hotel Iles #34[.] at half past twelve we had dinner[.] got up to #10 Holley road about two[.] we received our instructions from Apostle [Heber J.] Grant[.] I got my transpor[t]ation[.] fixed up[,] got back to the Hotel at six o[']clock[.] we had supper about seven o[']clock[.] we all went out and helf a street meeting[.] we sang "O[,] my Father." the elders prayed + talked and distributed trac[t]s. we went back to the hotel[.] I went to my room[.] finished to day[.] journal we have two candles[.] I think Liverpool is as old as the hills[.] every thing looks a hundred years behind the times[.] the street cars single track [p. 8] and double deck[.] you pay a penny for a ride[.] they give you a ticket that [is] in your hand till you get of[f.] then walk at the side of the horses[.] then is one [horse?] in front of the other. I'm going to bed now[.]
Arived in Liverpool [at] 12.30 P.M. We were met by Elders at the wharf and were conducted to a hotel where we had diner, after [p. 8] dinner we went to the conference house at #1 Holly Road Where we received instruction in regards to our missions, Bro. Heber J. Grant gave us some splendid countsil and instruction. I leave for London at 12.30 P.M. tomorrow, from there we go to Paris, from there to Zürich.





No comments:

Post a Comment