Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mary Ella Hickman's Musical Compositions

I noted in my last entry how I had substantiated/verified that Mary Ella did write musical lyrics, and have noted how her, Fred, and the Kohlhepps enjoyed writing poetry. I thought I would share the two musical lyrics of Mary Ella's that I have located. I found these in the Library of Congress' Catalog of Copyright Entries: Musical Compositions, Part 3. Volume 8, Part 1, No. 1-5. Washington: Government's Printing Office, 1913.

The first is "Where the Climbing Wild Roses Bloom." In the catalog, it is entry #3842 on page 229. The words are listed as being written by Ella Kohlhepp (or "E. Kohlhepp" to be specific) and the music being written by Charles J. W. Jerreld (I do not know who this is). Then, I suppose it lists a company name: Washington, H. Kirkus Dugdale co., inc. The copyright is dated as December 31, 1912 (New year's day bang!). Then there is a "2 c." date (I imagine this is the second copyright) for February 3, 1913. The copyright is stated as belonging to "Ella Kohlhepp," in Misa [today's Mesa], Arizona. The Arizona location might surprise someone, but the Kohlhepps were living in Arizona at this time (another thing I will have to get to posting). Lastly, there is some code: E301766. I do not know what these stand for.



The second is "The Bachelor." In the catalog, this is entry #2328 on page 142. Again, the words are written by Ella, the music by Jerreld, and the same company is listed. The same copyright dates are also written down, so they must have been copyrighted together at the same time. Again there is a code: E301777.



Now, how would one go about finding the actual words that Ella wrote? I don't know. I have wanted to go through the recent Minerva Teichert papers update at BYU, and rummage through the family poetry that I believe is in the new material. Perhaps I will find that in there. Maybe there is a way to find Jerreld's composition or hnt down the company that was listed. Ugh; ths seems quite the amount of work for little pay off! But that is what we family historians do, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment