Thursday, May 6, 2010

Richard K. Bridge Journal 1: 19-24 September 1905

In this entry, I will be recording passages from the journal of Richard K. Bridge, the missionary who travelled with Fred across the Atlantic together to the Swiss-Geman mission. I located his 1905-1908 journal in the Church History Library in Salt Lake City, where it is labelled as Church Archives MS 17402. Unfortunately, I was only able to access a microfilm of the manuscript, where some of the pictures are placed over the tops of the text, making some parts of pages illegible. I will try to place these entries and their dates side-by-side with Fred's missionary journal, of which a copy was in the possession of my mother. I have transcribed this journal and will eventually get to making it available.

But on to Richard's journal. In the entries when they refer to people or places I will try to add in brackets the full names of the people, or the real names of the places. They often spelled the names of the people phonetically and not gramatically, and so one can get confusd if they are not aware of the proper spellings. I have also placed in punctuation in the brackets. Words that I cannot make out I will place in bracket with question marks corresponding to the number of letters in the word. Hopefully, when I post the scans some of you will be able to help me read them! When a page number ends in the original document, I also place the page number in brackets (i.e., [p. 3]).

UPDATE: Scans I have now placed below; feel free to help me with the words I could not make out. Thanks!

I will not comment or make questions about these journal entries until I get through posting them all. They will only go up to 2 October 1905, when the two elders part ways.











































19 September 1905 (Tuesday)
Richard K. Bridge's JournalFrederick J. Kohlhepp's Journal
We arrived at Fall River at 6 AM[.] we took the the N. Y. N. H. H. R. R. [New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad] at 6[:]40 arriving at Boston at 8 AM[.] went to #84 State St and arranged for my berth on the Arabic [II] sailing for Livepool on the 21st. from there I went to the Haymarket Hotel just south of the North Station[.] nothing else to note so I went to bed about 10.30 PM.
Father [Johann Friedrich Kohlhepp] gave some history of his people in German[y.] Father’s cousin, Urban [Kohlhepp], [lives] in Salsungen [Bad Salzungen], in a village called Laimebach [Leimbach], Fathers mothers folks also live in Laimebach [Leimbach]. I went to visit Eda [Kohlhepp] on the 19th found her looking very bad. In Oct, she will go to Los Angeles Cal, for her health.
20 September 1905 (Wednesday)
I got up about seven o clock[,] wrote letters till 10.30 AM[,] went down to Wyman's for breakfast[.] came back to the hotel[.] met some fellows all went over to the White Star Pier in Charlestown[,] checked my trunk then Ed [Elder] Rich and myself went over to the navy yard[.] we went on board the Frig[a]te Constitution[,] the boat has played a great part in the naval history of the United States[.] she cost over $3000.00. [p. 3] We next visited several boats that were out of com[m]ission[.] some were in dry dock[,] some weren[']t[.] The boat Detroit was undergoing an overhauling[.] we then walked down through the residence part of the yard[.] nothing to note except some of the sailors were playing rugby[.] In front of the barracks are several modern cannons[,] some very old ones[.] a large eagle made of tin[.] they also have a [w?ele?] telepgraph station[.] then just as we were about to go we saw four guards[.] they had about twenty sailors cleaning up the grounds[.] they wore plain gray sails[.] the fellows were serving time on the [chain gang?]. I then went to the hotel[,] wrote some letters[,] had dinner[,] then I went down Washington Ave. I got home about 930 PM[,] went to bed[.]
On the 20th Anna [Conhepa] and I went to visit the Ship Arabic [Arabic II], which sails from Charlestown harbor on the 21st Sept. I visited the Art Museum with our company.
21 September 1905 (Thursday)
I got up about seven o['] clock[.] did some writing[.] I had breakfast about 9 o[']clock[.] we all took a stroll over to [the] Bunker hill monument[.] when we were coming back we got lost[.] found our way by taking a street car to town[.] [p. 4] At noon I went up to the office of the White Star Line[.] got some mail[.] I went back to the State House[.] from there to lunch[.] we took an elevator and subway [???][.] from there we got our cases[.] went down to the dock[.] I went on board at 2.30 PM and we set sail at 230 PM. we had the [???] [?????] out into the atlantic[.] we saw boats of every kind coming + going[.] On the coast is a large Port belonging to the U. S. walked around on board till supper time[.] I had supper[.] went to bed about 11 o[']clock[.]
Fathe[r] made me a present of 10 Dollars, + Anna [Anna Kramer Schneidt?] of two dollars. Left Charlestown [at] 3:30 P.M. [I am staying in] Birth [berth] No. 130.
22 September 1905 (Friday)
I got up about 730 AM[.] washed + had breakfast[.] then went on deck[.] the sun shown[.] it was warm the sea was calm[.] it did justice to the good things of the [c???tt] thri[??] this day I went to bed at 9.30 PM.
Weather was fair. [p. 3] Spent the day reading + walking about the deck, also wrote [a] letter home.
23 September 1905 (Saturday)
I got up at 6.10 AM[.] got washed[.] walked the deck till breakfast[.] I finished reading the book If I were King about 11 o[']clock[.] we studied German till 1230 when we had dinner. the weather has been fog[gy] for the last 18 hours[.] it has rained all day this after- [p. 5] noon. we studied some more German at 5.30[.] we had tea[.] went up on deck for about an hour[.] well it has been another day that I've been able to sit up and take a little [munshunt?] thrice.[It is] Wet and foggy. Bro Fife + Jorgenson are somewhat sea sick. I am feeling well so far, I have taken a bath on board ship which has done me good. I feel that the Lord is with me on this journey. British Art Gal[l]ery Walker R. [in] Liverpool. Off [the] banks of New Foundland [at] noon [on] the 23rd [of] Sep. with rain and fog.
24 September 1905 (Sunday)
I got up eight o[']clock[.] had breakfast at 1030 AM[.] we had Babptist [sic.] service[.] this only lasted about an hour[.] I again went on deck and walked till dinner time which is at 1230 PM. then I went up on the top deck[.] did some reading[.] went to sleep till tea time 530 PM[.] at about 7 PM we had a nother babtist [sic.] service [.] the first time they passed the plate--they got 12/7[.] I thought the sermons they preached were very poor[.] I then went to the library where we stayed till 11 PM [when] they turn out the lights[.] then I went to bed[.]
Sunday still foggy. [There are] Baptist Missionaries bound for India + other points of the eastern lands to preach to the heathens [on board], [they] held meetings at 10-30 a.m + 7 p.m[. which ] I attended. 9 P.M. still foggy. [The] fog horn [is] blowing every few minutes. The sea has been calm so far. retired for bed. [at] 9 P.M. [p. 4]







No comments:

Post a Comment