Sunday, May 31, 2020

Letter from Sister Ernestine Kohlhepp - December 19 1905

Several years before my grandmother, Laurie Teichert Eastwood, passed away, I had the fortune of visiting her home in San Bernardino, California. She pulled out her genealogy paperwork on the Kohlhepp's, and let me scan all of her work. I wish I had done some higher quality copies, but there was so much material, I am simply glad that I caught what I could. I've been unearthing multiple hard drives where some of this material was stored, and publishing it here into the cloud. Much valuable material comes from family letters. This first one comes from Fred's mission in December 1905, while Fred was serving in Thun.
Jamaica Plan
Dec 19th 1905
Dear Fred,
Your letter of the 4th was received with much pleasure. we also received one that you had written on Oct. 30th.
We are glad you are well, and enjoying your labour. also the wonderful scenery of the Schweitz.
Thun must look quaint with the overhanging roofs as you mentioned.
You didnot say whether
[p.2]
you had got a letter from me or not. I wrote to you in care of "Balliff" [Serge F. Ballif] if I remember correctly. I told you all about Eda's [Eda Henrietta Kohlhepp] death. But you said in your letter that you had heard it from Ella [Mary Ella Hickman]. I wrote it to you, before I wrote to her - didn't you get that letter?
Mr. Epple [Henry Epple] + Louis [Louis Epple] are living in the city in furnished rooms for the winter, and Eda [Louise Epple] has gone down to Florida. She was quite used up after her mother's death.
[p.3]
Was quite surprised to hear that there is also consumption there. I believe there is hardly a spot in the world free from it.
Father is well, altho' he often says this will be his last winter[.] he appears to be feeling all right. and I am very well. I have to thank you for your kind remembrance of Mr. Peavey.
I am glad you wrote it. P. V. It was a puzzle for Anna [Kramer], + she hasn't guessed it yet! We are having the real winter weather now, but not as
[p.4]
severe as last winter.
Well, Christmas is coming, I am afraid you won't get this till after Xmas, but I am surely in time to wish you a "Happy New Year" which I hope will be a self-satisfying one to you in regard to the work which you will accomplish.
Father and I both wish you the best of health + happiness.
Your loving sister
Ernestine [Clara Kohlhepp]
P.S. Oscar [Neuman] sends his love to his uncle Fred.



Observations:

- We can tell from the content of Tinnie's response that Fred described a lot of the surrounding beauties of Thun -- both in terms of its architectural quaintness and natural beauty with the lake and mountains.
- We see a "missing" letter from Tinnie from earlier where she mentioned Eda's death. It's not really missing, it just arrived late.
- We're seeing how many members of Eda's family handled the aftermath of Eda's passing.
- While responding about Eda's passing, Fred no doubt mentioned how consumption was already an ailment he'd seen in Switzerland. This month, Fred dealt with the death and burial of a Bro. Weber, who passed from consumption (see journal entries for December 8, 14 - 17 1905).
- We see that Fred's family is cordial in regards to his missionary efforts, even if they are not open to it themselves.
- We see some of Tinnie's playful behavior as relates to her eldest half-sister, Anna Kramer.
- It isn't clear when Fred received this letter from his journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment