Monday, January 21, 2019

Elizabeth Wetzler Kohlhepp - Will (1905)


Shortly before Frederick's mother, Marie Elizabeth Benedicta Wetzler Kohlhepp, passed away, she made a will directing the execution of her estate and what she'd inherited from her brother, Ernst Wetzler. There are not many documents I have that describe Elizabeth's life, and unfortunately, this document does not tell us very much.
Document Type: Will
Document Date: Made on April 11, 1905; Proved on June 8, 1905
Created by: Elijah George
On Behalf of: Elizabeth Kohlhepp
People referenced: Elizabeth Kohlhepp, Ernst Wetzler, Anna Kramer, Eda Kohlhepp Epple, Elizabeth Kohlhepp Huber, Constance Kohlhepp Halbach, Frederick Kohlhepp, Johann Friedrich Kohlhepp, Amelia Kohlhepp Piquet, Ernestine Kohlhepp Neumann, Patrick H. Fitzgerald, Joseph M. Fitzgerald, Mary E. Fitzgerald

Notes: It isn’t clear from the will if one had already been created and this was a corrective document, or if that is written as a matter of course and procedure. I should check a few other wills written by Elijah to make that determination.
The will is rather straightforward:
  • Pay off debts and funeral expenses
  • Brother’s estate, give $1000 to Anna, Eda, Elizabeth and Constance; Frederick, Amelia, and Ernestine had already received their portion prior. Residue of that estate to be shared amongst all children evenly. Family records of mine, along with the introduction to the Letters of Minerva Teichert, claimed that Frederick benefited from estate distributions from his Uncle, Mother, and Father, and this substantiates those claims.
  • Elizabeth’s estate to go to Johann Friedrich, and he is the executor of the will.
It is curious how often these wills were written, or who could afford to do so. The record just prior to this was will from 1901, four years prior.
The witnesses are interesting – who were the Fitzgeralds listed and what was their relationship to the Kohlhepps (Patrick H. Fitzgerald, Joseph M. Fitzgerald, Mary E. Fitzgerald)?

Elizabeth Kohlhepp, Will, Proved June 8, 1905
Know all men by these presents, that I, Elizabeth Kohlhepp, wife of Frederick Kohlhepp, of Boston in the County of Suffolk and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, do make this my last will and testament, herby revoking all wills and codicils by me heretofore made. First, I direct my executor hereinafter named to pay all my just debts and funeral expenses as soon as may be after my decease. Second, Of the estate given to me by the will of my deceased brother Ernst Wetzler, I give and bequeath to my daughters Anna, Eda, Elizabeth and Constance the sum of one thousand dollars each, and the residue of said estate in equal shares to all my children, and to the issue of any deceased child, such issue taking by way of representation. (My children Frederick, Amelia and Ernestine have already received one thousand dollars each.) Third, All the rest and residue of the estate, both real and personal, of which I shall die seized or possessed, or to which I shall be in any way entitled, or over which I shall have any power of appointment, at the time of my decease, I give, devise, bequeath and appoint to my said husband, Frederick Kohlhepp, absolutely and in fee simple. Fourth, I appoint my said husband Frederick Kohlhepp executor of this my will, and direct that no sureties be required on his official bond as such executor.  In witness whereof I hereto set my hand, and declare this to be my last will and testament, this 11 day of April, A.D. nineteen hundred and five.
Elizabeth Kohlhepp.
I hereby assent to the provisions of the above will.
Fred Kohlhepp
Signed by the testastrix and by her declared to be her last will and testament, in the presence of us, who at her request and in her presence, and in the presence of each other have hereto set our names as attesting witnesses.
Patrick H. Fitzgerald
Joseph M. Fitzgerald
Mary E. Fitzgerald
A true record Attest.
Elijah George Register

No comments:

Post a Comment