Friday, July 3, 2020

Frederick Kohlhepp - Mission Journal Entries - March 1906 (3 of 3)

26 March 1906 - Monday

Monday morning 26th of Mar. Still feeling pretty sick. Left for Basel on 9.30 train. Met Bro. Harry Sheph[e]rd and Herbert Flamm in Basel. I stayed over night with them and left for Freiburg on

[p. 39]
10.30 Fast train

27 March 1906 - Tuesday

Mar, 27th arrived in Freiburg 11.30 a.m. I left my trunk in the depot and started out to find Peter Ketterer I trampled[sp?] all the afternoon and found 4 different Ketterers but could not find the one I wanted. I am tired and disgusted I’m going to sleep now in a Wirtshaft, and will try once more tomorrow.[N6]

28 March 1906 - Wednesday

Mar. 28th Went out again this morning but searched in vain, could not find my man. Went and rented a room for a month.

29 March 1906 - Thursday

Thursday Mar. 29th wrote letters wrote one home. Am getting sort of worried, my money is running low. Have had the blues today quite bad. I guess from being alone. My cold is

[p. 40]
quite bad yet too.

30 March 1906 - Friday

Mar. 30th Commenced my labors in Freiburg. Went tracting in fornoon. My cold is not better yet.

31 March 1906 - Saturday

Sat. Mar. 31st Made out my monthly report and sent into Biel. Also sent cards to Bro’s Kunz + Sheph[e]rd. Received letter from Pres. [Jacob] Mause stating that he would give Bro. Ketterer my address, and he would come and see me. Weather still gloomy stormy and cold. My cold is not better yet.

NOTES:

[N6] The word “wirtshaft” that Frederick employs here is confusing. The name correlates most with “Wirtschaft,” which stands for “economy,” but has nothing to do with a place to stay the night. Most likely he meant to write “wirtshaus,” which means hotel or inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment