Sunday, December 9, 2018

Mission Call Acceptance Letter

I find it great that my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, keeps records on missionary calls and the paperwork associated with it. I stumbled upon a few documents today that I'll share, the first of which is this acceptance letter that Fred wrote to Joseph F. Smith (6th president of said Church from 1901) for his call to the German-Swiss mission in 1905. Pictures and transcription follow.




"American Falls Idaho.
June 30th 1905

Jos. F. Smith.
Dear Brother
Your letter from the Missionary Committee was received. I accept the call for the German Mission. And I expect to be in Salt Lake City September 12th to be set apart for that Mission.
Your brother in the Gospel of Christ.
Fred. J. Kohlhepp.
Nilford Bennion Bishop
Neeley, Idaho"

There's also in different handwriting G.R. O.K. And a blue stamp stating "Received Jul 5 1905 Presidnt's Office"

The reverse side (I presume) of the paper just has Fred's name "Fred. J. Kohlhepp" and the date "June 30 1905."

Things of interest:

(a) I didn't know that when missionary calls came in the past, the prospective missionary was to write the President of the Church back either to accept or reject the call. Having perused a few other letters beyond Frederick's, it appears many of this time period were also asked to write if they followed the Word of Wisdom or not, which I did not see Frederick mention in his letter.

I am curious how prospective missionaries received calls. The fact that many rejected the call suggests it's not something one applies for, such as it is today. Rather, they came to you, it appears the Missionary Committee acting on behalf of the President of the Church.

(b) While the letter is noted as coming from American Falls, his bishop listed at the time is from Neeley. This is interesting, in helping situate where Frederick was going to church, and also makes me wonder if there was a ward in American Falls at the time. Or were geographic boundary policies less strict then? I suppose it's also possible he wrote the letter in American Falls, but didn't happen to be living there. Also interesting to see Neeley v. Neeleyville now mentioned in 1905.

(c) Nilford Bennion -- Not sure if I got the first name right. Nilford is a name, but not that common. I'm curious who he was.

(d) I'll have to run against Frederick's missionary papers if he happened to make the September 12th date referenced here.

No comments:

Post a Comment